Assistant Superintendent – Kitchener-Waterloo, ON
VanMar is seeking an Assistant Superintendent to support the success of a project in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real impact! While working on a dynamic team of construction experts, you will be reporting to the site Superintendent and expected to perform duties with minimal supervision and a high degree of initiative, following high level guidance and intent.
- Maintains the schedule set by the site Superintendent by scheduling respective trades and the flow of work.
- Works closely with site Superintendent, Project Manager(s), consultants, trades, inspectors, and regulatory agencies.
- Ensures construction projects operate in accordance with contract documents and construction site ‘best practices’.
- Responsible for the ongoing review of all applicable shop drawings.
- Provides necessary survey points & layout from licensed surveyor as required.
- Ensures all work is performed to required and applicable quality standards.
- Arranges all required inspections from jurisdictions having authority and ensures all deficiencies are corrected.
- Proactively identifies errors.
- Supports the Superintendent in the management of site employees and ensures that employees are fairly treated and that a positive work environment is maintained.
- Reviews and approves hourly employee timesheets in the absence of the Superintendent.
- Participates in site and company meetings as required.
- Ensures compliance with VanMar’s Health & Safety Program.
- Carpenters ticket or trade-based certification is preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in the general construction industry with extensive experience in project execution in multi-residential, mid-rise, and high-rise residential projects.
- 6+ years of experience of relevant construction experience.
- An industry recognized degree equivalent to a 3-year diploma in construction technology, a professional designation or an equivalent in combination of education/experience.
- A valid Ontario driver’s license.
Skills & Competency:
- Ability to read and understand drawings from all design principles.
- Ability to understand technical specifications and standards.
- Understanding of scheduling – task duration, sequence and methodology of building.
- Ability to create schedules.
- Understanding of applicable quality standards and a detailed/practical approach to Quality Management and Quality Control.
- Ability to layout for structure, mechanical, electrical, rough-in, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office, MS Project, Bluebeam, CAD, Procore.
- Knowledge of Environmental & H&S Legislation and the ability to enforce safety on-site.
- Knowledge of construction tradespeople capabilities and equipment usage.
- Proficiency in construction site ‘best practices’.
- Demonstrated proficiency in interacting directly with customers, third party engineering consultants, trades, etc.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Good communication skills – written and oral
Compensation: VanMar provides excellent benefits and compensation commensurate to experience in the industry.
VanMar recognizes and values the contributions of all of its employees to building projects of the highest quality. As a result our company has become a trusted and reputable builder throughout Ontario and British Columbia. To learn more about our company, please visit our website: www.vanmarconstructors.com .
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Compensation:Submit your resume by email