Assistant Superintendent (Envelope) – Stacked Townhomes – Pickering, ON
We are looking to add an experienced Assistant Superintendent to our dynamic team of construction experts to assist in leading the success of a stacked townhome residential project located in Pickering, Ontario.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real impact on one of our development projects! As the successful candidate, you will be reporting to the site Superintendent and expected to perform duties with minimal supervision and a high degree of initiative, following high level guidance and intent. This role places a high focus on steel stud & rough-in and envelope building components.
- Responsible for ongoing review of all applicable shop drawings: exterior steel studs & windows, window wall, storefront, curtail wall, pre-cast. EIFS, metal cladding, and all cladding types.
- Prepares scheduling of envelope including all related trades (short intervals every week for all structure trades) and ensures all trades are kept informed and adhere to the schedule.
- Enforces the schedule and pace.
- Coordinates and sequences all exterior cladding work.
- Coordinates all penetrations by other trades through exterior envelope and ensures
dimensional accuracy and quality installation.
- Reviews design prior to construction (slab edge drawings, dimensions for exterior, slab to slab, heights for window wall, embeds for pre-cast, and all exterior detailing), identifies errors and omissions in advance, and makes timely corrections to avoid delays to the schedule.
- Ensures structure has adequate vertical allowances for window wall.
- Ensures all work is performed to required and applicable quality standards.
- Utilizes the VanMar Quality Management Plan checklists before, during, and upon completion of the work.
- Inspect the entire building envelope in detail including all exterior detailing for wall
assemblies, waterproofing, and roofing.
- Provides necessary survey points and layout from licensed surveyor as required by the envelope trade(s).
- Verifies dimensional accuracy of all exterior elements by checking layout manually and with total station.
- Verifies the layout of envelope trade(s).
- Arranges for and ensures testing of all envelope components such as windows, window wall, etc., are performed.
- Arranges all required inspections from jurisdictions having authority and ensures all
deficiencies are corrected.
- Proactively identifies errors and problems.
- Maintain properly cost coded hourly employee time sheets in the absence of the
- Supports the Superintendent in the management of site employees and ensures that
employees are treated fairly and that a positive work environment is maintained.
- 8+ years of experience in the general construction industry with extensive experience in project execution in multi-residential, mid and high rise residential projects.
- 6+ years of relevant construction experience.
- Building Science education is preferred.
- An industry recognized degree the equivalent to a 3-year diploma in construction technology, a professional designation, or an equivalent in combination of education/experience preferred.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License.
- Valid Working at Heights, WHMIS, Health and Safety Awareness training for Supervisors.
- Ability to read and understand drawings from all design disciplines.
- Ability to review shop drawings.
- Ability to understand technical specifications and standards.
- Knowledge of scheduling – task duration, sequence, and methodology of building.
- Ability to create schedules.
- Ability to layout for envelope – exterior steel studs, window wall, pre-cast, exterior wall elements, etc.
- Knowledge of applicable technical standards such as CSA standards.
- Knowledge of applicable quality standards and capable of taking a detailed/practical approach to quality management and quality control.
- Knowledge of Best Practice Guides for Building Envelope and solid understanding of technical knowledge of building science relating to exterior wall and roof assemblies.
- Knowledge of all exterior cladding types including windows, window wall, storefront, curtain wall, pre-cast, EIFS, metal panel, etc.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of rain screen principles.
- Advanced knowledge of envelope detailing, exterior wall details, roofing/waterproofing details, window installation, pre-cast installations, EIFS, etc.
- Computer skills with previous experience using MS Office, MS Project, Bluebeam, CAD, and Procore.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Organizational skills.
- Good communication skills – written and oral.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to climb ladders, stairs, scaffolds, and other objects.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
VanMar provides excellent benefits and compensation commensurate to experience in the industry.
COVID-19: Safety is part of the culture at VanMar; it’s a core value. VanMar is committed to the safety and well-being of all its employees, trades, suppliers, and clients. Our comprehensive COVID-19 Response Program includes recommended and enhanced measures on all VanMar construction projects.
VanMar recognizes the contributions of all its employees to building projects of the highest quality. As a result, our company has become a trusted and reputable builder throughout Ontario and British Columbia.
VanMar Constructors is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications with emphasis on selecting the best-qualified person for the job.
If you are contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
Successful external candidates will be subject to a Criminal Record Check as a condition of the employment offer prior to the commencement of employment.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.Submit your resume by email