Senior High-rise Construction Site Superintendent (Concrete)
VanMar Constructors is seeking a senior high-rise concrete Superintendent to lead the success of a multi-phase mixed use residential/retail/office high-rise project in Kitchener. The project consists of a 3 level 1600 stall underground parkade with 5 towers ranging from 18 – 45 storeys for a total of 1950 units and 300,000 square feet of office/retail. The first phase consists of the first two towers with 583 units over one level of retail. The first phase has just commenced shoring and excavation. It is assumed there will be four phases in total with a 7 – 9 year construction duration. This is a landmark project.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real impact! As the successful candidate, you will be a strategic thinker yet comfortable rolling up your sleeves and you are well versed in all disciplines of general construction. While working on a dynamic team of construction experts, you will be reporting to the President and expected to perform duties with minimal supervision and a high degree of initiative, following high level guidance and intent.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
Submit your resume by email
- Coordinates site construction activities and manages on-site personnel.
- Works closely with Project Manager(s), consultants, trades, inspectors, and regulatory agencies.
- Ensures construction projects operate in accordance with contract documents and construction site 'best practices'.
- Provides overall on-site management of daily on-site activities such as coordination of on-site crews, equipment, material, and sub-trades.
- Create and maintain project scheduling with sub-trades and vendors.
- Ensures workmanship of sub-trades meet company quality standards.
- Identifies any additional work and obtains extra work authorizations as necessary.
- Analysis of qualitative and quantitative information on construction project performance to identify any issues that may need to be addressed.
- Maintains daily superintendent's log.
- Participates in site and company meetings as required.
- Ensures compliance with VanMar's Health & Safety Program.
- Carpenters ticket or trade based certification is considered an asset.
- 20+ years of experience in the general construction industry and extensive experience in project execution of multi-residential, mid-rise, and high-rise residential projects.
- 15 + years of experience as a construction Superintendent.
- An industry recognized degree equivalent to a 3-year diploma in construction technology, a professional designation or an equivalent in combination of education/experience would be an asset.
Skills & Competency:
- Knowledge of construction methods from project start up through to project completion.
- Knowledge of Environmental & H&S Legislation and the ability to enforce safety on-site.
- Knowledge of construction tradespeople capabilities and equipment usage.
- Proficiency in construction site ‘best practices’.
- Proficiency in developing and enforcing project schedules and the efficient sequencing of work to achieve the shortest possible construction duration.
- Technical knowledge of site work, building structures, building envelopes, and interior finishes.
- A detailed and practical approach to Quality Management and Quality Control.
- An individual who is able to handle a variety of constituencies, juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in interacting directly with customers, third party engineering consultants, trades, etc.
- Organizational skills and the ability to be flexible in managing changing priorities.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral.
Compensation: VanMar provides excellent benefits and compensation commensurate to experience in the industry.
VanMar recognizes and values the contributions of all of its employees to building projects of the highest quality. As a result our company has become a trusted and reputable builder throughout Ontario and British Columbia.
To learn more about the project, please visit www.stationpark.com
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.