Assistant Superintendent (Steel Stud/Envelope) – Mid/High Rise Residential – Hamilton, ON
We are looking to add an experienced mid-high rise Assistant Superintendent to our dynamic team of construction experts to assist in leading the success of a 14-storey residential project located in Hamilton, Ontario.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real impact! As the successful candidate, you will be reporting to the site Superintendent and expected to perform duties with minimal supervision and a high degree of initiative, following high level guidance and intent. This role places a high focus on steel stud & rough-in and envelope building components.
- Responsible for ongoing review of all applicable shop drawings: exterior steel studs & windows, window wall, storefront, curtail wall, pre-cast. EIFS, metal cladding, and all cladding types.
- Prepares scheduling of envelope including all related trades (short intervals every week for all structure trades) and ensures all trades are kept informed and adhere to the schedule.
- Enforces the schedule and pace.
- Coordinates and sequences all exterior cladding work.
- Coordinates all penetrations by other trades through exterior envelope and ensures dimensional accuracy and quality installation.
- Reviews design prior to construction (slab edge drawings, dimensions for exterior, slab to slab, heights for window wall, embeds for pre-cast, and all exterior detailing), identifies errors and omissions in advance, and makes timely corrections to avoid delays to the schedule.
- Ensures structure has adequate vertical allowances for window wall.
- Ensures all work is performed to required and applicable quality standards.
- Utilizes the VanMar Quality Management Plan checklists before, during, and upon completion of the work.
- Inspect the entire building envelope in detail including all exterior detailing for wall assemblies, waterproofing, and roofing.
- Provides necessary survey points and layout from licensed surveyor as required by the envelope trade(s).
- Verifies dimensional accuracy of all exterior elements by checking layout manually and with total station.
- Verifies the layout of envelope trade(s).
- Arranges for and ensures testing of all envelope components such as windows, window wall, etc., are performed.
- Arranges all required inspections from jurisdictions having authority and ensures all deficiencies are corrected.
- Proactively identifies errors and problems.
- Maintain properly cost coded hourly employee time sheets in the absence of the Superintendent.
- Supports the Superintendent in the management of site employees and ensures that employees are treated fairly and that a positive work environment is maintained.
- 8+ years of experience in the general construction industry with extensive experience in project execution in multi-residential, mid and high rise residential projects.
- 6+ years of relevant construction experience.
- Building Science Education is preferred.
- An industry recognized degree the equivalent to a 3-year diploma in construction technology, a professional designation, or an equivalent in combination of education/experience preferred.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License.
- Valid Working at Heights, WHMIS, Health and Safety Awareness training for Supervisors.
- Ability to read and understand drawings from all design disciplines.
- Ability to review shop drawings.
- Ability to understand technical specifications and standards.
- Knowledge of scheduling – task duration, sequence, and methodology of building.
- Ability to create schedules.
- Ability to layout for envelope – exterior steel studs, window wall, pre-cast, exterior wall elements, etc.
- Knowledge of applicable technical standards such as CSA standards.
- Knowledge of applicable quality standards and capable of taking a detailed/practical approach to quality management and quality control.
- Knowledge of Best Practice Guides for Building Envelope and solid understanding of technical knowledge of building science relating to exterior wall and roof assemblies.
- Knowledge of all exterior cladding types including windows, window wall, storefront, curtain wall, pre-cast, EIFS, metal panel, etc.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of rain screen principles.
- Advanced knowledge of envelope detailing, exterior wall details, roofing/waterproofing details, window installation, pre-cast installations, EIFS, etc.
- Computer skills with previous experience using MS Office, MS Project, Bluebeam, CAD, and Procore.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Organizational skills.
- Good communication skills – written and oral.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to climb ladders, stairs, scaffolds, and other objects.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
VanMar provides excellent benefits and compensation commensurate to experience in the industry.
COVID-19: Safety is part of the culture at VanMar; it’s a core value. VanMar is committed to the safety and well-being of all its employees, trades, suppliers, and clients. Our comprehensive COVID-19 Response Program includes recommended and enhanced measures on all VanMar construction projects.
VanMar recognizes the contributions of all its employees to building projects of the highest quality. As a result our company has become a trusted and reputable builder throughout Ontario and British Columbia.
VanMar is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for interviews will be contacted.Submit your resume by email