Construction Safety Officer (CSO) – Pickering, ON
We are seeking a diligent, confident and dependable Construction Safety Officer to join our Ontario
team and contribute to our success.
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for ensuring all safety legislation is adopted on site, enforcing policies and procedures as well as planning, training, monitoring, and reviewing the protective and preventative measures required by the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its Regulations and WSIB requirements. You will work closely with the Site Superintendent to minimize operational losses, occupational health and safety concerns, incidents, and injuries.
- Support the development of site specific OHS policies and programs.
- Conduct work area inspections to ensure equipment, materials, and processes do not present a safety, health or environmental hazard.
- Conduct site specific Health & Safety Orientations.
- Assist site management and employees with safety programs, participation and compliance.
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.)
- Conduct risk assessments and enforce preventative measures.
- Review existing policies and measures and update according to legislation.
- Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment)
- Stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy.
- Investigate and document injuries to determine root causes and implement controls.
- Assist in the incident investigation process when necessary and be prepared to be involved in the preparation of reports and summaries.
- Maintain and track all recordable statistics, training requirements for project specific needs.
- Attend applicable safety meetings including toolbox talks where required.
- Assist with the development and review of job hazard assessments (JHA), Safe Work Practices (SWP) and Safe Job Procedures (SJP)
- Have passion for Occupational Health & Safety.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Outgoing and approachable personality.
- Have the ability to prioritize, organize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- 3+ years of general construction experience.
- 5+ years of Health and Safety work experience in the construction industry.
- A solid understanding of the OH&S regulations for the province of Ontario.
- Motivated to obtain or currently working towards NCSO Certification.
- Completion of a degree/diploma of an accredited Certificate program in Occupational Health and Safety would be an asset.
- Current First Aid certificate.
- Proficiency with computers, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and other common applications.
- Additional training including WAH, WHMIS, Health and Safety Awareness Training.
- Bobcat/mobile equipment operation, would be an asset.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to engage with a diverse range of staff, skill sets and personalities.
- Confident ability to diffuse challenging situations.
- Self-motivation, taking initiative to make improvements while striving to perform outside of job description.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Extended health and dental benefits.
- Two weeks’ vacation.
VanMar Constructors recognizes and values the contributions of all its employees to building projects of the highest quality. As a result, our Company has become a trusted and reputable builder throughout Ontario and British Columbia.
VanMar is an equal opportunity employer. Successful external candidates will be subject to a Criminal Record Check as a condition of the employment offer prior to the commencement of employment.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.Submit your resume by email